April Fool's Day policy proposed
A proposal regarding what to do on April Fool's Day was started, with the goal of organizing and coordinating what the Main Page would look like. Last year, there was no coherent policy in place, and throughout the day several elements of the site were modified, including the changing of system messages and the introduction of hoax articles (see archived story). The proposed policy would have an unusual – but true – featured article on the main page, along with weird, but factual, news stories in In the News, along with strange and unusual anniversaries and Did you know items.
Wikipedians featured in news
The Hockessin Community News began a special series on 2 March, featuring articles about Wikipedia and Wikipedians from the Delaware area. In the March 2 issue (pages eight and nine), an article on the Congressional astroturfing appeared, along with an article profiling Tim Westbrook (Stilltim). In the March 9 issue (pages eight and nine), Mark Pellegrini (Raul654), the featured article director as well as a bureaucrat and Arbitration Committee member, was featured. The articles were written by reporter Kevin Barrett, who attended a meetup in Newark, Delaware in late February. The articles are the first part of the series, which is expected to continue in next week's issue.
This week, a proposed Wikiepic project was created, with the goal being to create a "freeform mythology or fantasy world". Nicknamed "the neverending wiki", the proposed project would allow contributors to write stories and eventually form an epic.
Main Page redesign poll continues
A poll regarding changing the appearance of the Main Page continues this week, with the vote on the redesign ending on 18 March.
- The Danish Wikipedia has reached 40,000 articles. The 40,000th article is da:Teglgård Sø, a lake in Denmark.
- The Yiddish Wikipedia has reached 1,000 articles.
- The Romanian Wikipedia has reached 31,000 articles.
- The Latvian Wikipedia has reached 3,000 articles.
- The Polish Wikipedia has reached 220,000 articles.
- The Korean Wikipedia has reached 54,000 total pages.
- The Breton Wikipedia has reached 5,000 articles.
- The Luxembourgish Wikipedia has reached 500 registered users.
- The Thai Wikipedia has reached 9,000 articles. The 9,000th article is โปงลาง, a Thai musical instrument.
- The Romanian Wikipedia passed 30,000 articles.
- The Chuvash Wikipedia has reached 2,000 articles.
- The Hebrew Wikipedia has reached 15,000 registered users.
- The Vietnamese Wikipedia now has a total page count of 28,000. Its article count is approximately 5,800.
- The Slovak Wikiquote has reached 1,000 articles.
- The German Wikiquote has reached 5,000 articles.
- The Malay Wikipedia has reached 12345 articles with senarai negeri-negeri Malaysia.
- The Thai Wikipedia has reached 8,000 articles. The 8,000th article is DOM.
- The Portuguese Wikipedia has reached 120,000 articles. The 120,000th article is Ammerland.
- The Hebrew Wikibooks has over 10,000 page edits.
- The Spanish Wikipedia has reached 100,000 articles, the tenth wikipedia to pass this milestone. See also the relevant press release.
- The Russian Wikiquote has reached 2,000 articles.
- The Portuguese Wikipedia has reached 50,000 registered users.
- The Albanian Wikipedia has reached 500 registered users.
- The Dutch Wikipedia has reached 30,000 registered users.
- The Portuguese Wiktionary has reached 1,000 registered users.
- The Marathi Wikipedia has reached 3,000 articles.
- The Korean Wikipedia has reached 3,000 registered users.
- The English Wikibooks has more than 400,000 page edits.