This is a summary of recent technology and site configuration changes that affect the English Wikipedia. Note that not all changes described here are live as of press time; the English Wikipedia is currently running version 1.42.0-wmf.19 (fa0add5), and changes to the software with a version number higher than that will not yet be active.
- Recently, there were some major changes to the code that handled images (the display of the image's information in a table below the image was the most obvious effect). This fixed some bugs, and caused some more which have now been fixed:
- When uploading an image so as to overwrite an existing image, the image showing a preview of the image now again shows correctly. (r25208, bug 11067)
- Using the API to access information about old versions of an image now again gives the correct results. (r25212, bug 11072)
- The 'file history' link at the top of an image description page for an image on Commons now links to the image's file history, which is now on the page (it wasn't there previously) (bug 7190; fixed by the image-code changes)
- The "show preview on first edit" preference now shows a preview of the preloaded text when a link to edit a new page with preload text is used. (r25236, bug 11095)
- When (due to a server problem or similar situation) the wiki has to be temporarily placed into read-only mode, the error message upon trying to edit now displays correctly. (r25293, bug 11114)
- Anonymous users (and other users who aren't allowed to create pages, such as blocked users) now again get an error message and no edit form if they try to create a page. (r25374, bug 11140)
Other technology news
Six Wikimedia wikis were closed recently:
- Internationalisation has been continuing as normal; help is always appreciated! See m:Localization statistics for how complete the translations of languages you know are, and post any updates to bugzilla or use Betawiki.