Bugs, Repairs, and Internal Operational News
This is a summary of recent technology and site configuration changes that affect the English Wikipedia. Note that not all changes described here are live as of press time; the English Wikipedia is currently running version 1.42.0-wmf.7 (6765518), and changes to the software with a version number higher than that will not yet be active.
- An list=usercontribs API query for an anonymous user now works; previously, the API only allowed queries for the contributions of registered users. (r24753, bug 10902)
- The job queue runners were hanging recently, meaning that many low-priority software tasks did not take place for a while (one of the more obvious results of this was that contributions of user accounts that had been renamed were attributed to the old name for much longer than usual). They have now been restarted, and such tasks are being run as normal again. (bug 10979)
- The log message for uploading a new version of an image over an old version is now different from that for uploading a new image; a new interface message MediaWiki:Overwroteimage has been added to customize this. (r24836, bug 10937)
- Bureaucrats can now leave a summary when renaming a user. (r24869, bug 10819)
- A URL (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Newpages&username=username) now exists to go directly to new pages created recently by a specific contributor (previously it was necessary to go via Special:Newpages and manually enter the username, and no direct URL existed). (r24944, bug 11001)
- Internationalisation has been continuing as normal; help is always appreciated! See m:Localization statistics for how complete the translations of languages you know are, and post any updates to bugzilla.